How your Information is Used
use information, including
, to carry out the following purposes:
and improve the AfricaX Site
– This includes creating and improving features that support the AfricaX community and enable AfricaX site usage at scale. This also includes personalizing the AfricaX Site, so your learning experience
is tailored to your interests and needs.
administer, provide, and teach courses
– This includes creating and improving the delivery of massive open online courses and programs on AfricaX. This also includes personalizing courses, so your learning experience is tailored to your
interests and needs, and assessing your performance and awarding certificates.
and improve products and services
– This includes enabling you to navigate the AfricaX Site, to enroll and participate in courses and programs on the AfricaX Site, to learn effectively in such courses and programs, and to purchase
or obtain products and services on the AfricaX Site such as Verified Certificates.
and maintain the security and performance of the AfricaX Site
– This includes tracking AfricaX Site outages and creating software solutions, detecting violations of the Honour Code and Terms of Service, and monitoring uses, misuses, and potential misuses
of the AfricaX Site.
us communicate with you
– This includes answering your course and platform questions, notifying you of course and AfricaX Site maintenance and updates, marketing to you about course offerings, programs, news,
and related products and services of AfricaX or AfricaX affiliates, and as permitted under applicable law, sending you communications about products or services of selected business partners
that may be of interest to you.
scientific research including, for example, in the areas of
cognitive science and education
– This includes collaborating to enable and conduct research about how learners access and master course materials online, with the goal of improving course outcomes.
AfricaX Site usage against goals and mission
– This includes performing analytics to evaluate access to and performance in courses and course-related products and services and to report aggregate usage information (not Personal
Information) to business partners and external audiences.
enforce, and comply with legal rights and obligations
– This includes responding to subpoenas, court orders, or other legal process; and investigating, preventing, or taking action regarding illegal activities, suspected fraud,
security or technical issues, or to protect the rights, property, or safety of AfricaX, Members, or others, and as otherwise required by applicable law.
AfricaX or a Member may also seek your consent for additional uses of information, including Personal Information, and will use it only for the purpose described to you. All use of Personal Information is subject to applicable
YOUR INFORMATION IS SHARED
share information, including
, with third parties for the following purposes:
service providers, contractors, and other third parties that help
carry out the uses described above
Information only as needed to fulfill the relevant purpose(s). In some cases, the AfricaX Site and individual courses are integrated with third-party services or contain links to websites published by third
parties, including other content providers as well as service providers. These third parties are responsible for their own privacy practices, so you should pay attention anytime you are redirected to a third-party
other learners in courses that you take and with other visitors to
the AfricaX Site, to create an interactive learning environment,
support class participation, and share course information
– This includes sharing comments, coursework, or other information or content that you submit to a portion of the AfricaX site designed for viewing by other class members or for public communication.
This also includes providing opportunities for you to communicate with other users who may have similar interests or educational goals, for instance, recommending specific study partners or connecting potential
student mentees and mentors. In such cases, AfricaX and each Member that offers a course in which you enrolled may use all information collected about you to determine who might be interested in communicating
with you, but will only provide others your username (for clarity, no disclosure of your real name or email address).
employers, government programs, institutions, or other enterprises
that sponsor your enrollment in a course for training or other
– If an entity pays for or otherwise sponsors your
or course participation, AfricaX will share information with the entity as needed to confirm your enrollment, participation, progress, and completion status in that course.
affiliates of AfricaX or a Member, or with successors in the event
of a merger, acquisition, or reorganization, for their use
AfricaX or a Member may also seek your consent for additional disclosures of information, including Personal Information, and will share it only as described to you. In addition, AfricaX or a Member
may share with the public and with third parties, including but not limited to researchers and business partners, information and Personal Information that is de-identified or aggregated in a manner
that does not personally identify you.
January 01, 2020
a proud and trusted fully integrated partner with edX, our policies
and processes mirror those of edX.